Saturday, March 14

Book review... Night by Elie Wiesel

Night by Elie Wiesel

An heart touching true life story about one man's nightmare living through the Holocaust and Nazi concentration camps. He re-lives what it was like to be a Jew or even have Jewish religion or beliefs during the Nazi regime. It is a terrifying journey through his life during that time period. It was a true page turner, I could not put down this "Slim volume of terrifying power" - as said by the New York Times. I finished this book in a little over 5 hours of constant reading!

I recommend this book to everyone. The Holocaust is something we should all never forget! The terror that Hitler put upon those people is truely unbelieveable, but he did it and we can't forgot all the lives lost, and all those who survived. Please read this book and let me know what you think of it! I really liked it!

4 comments:

  1. Night is the kind of book that makes adjectives hard to come by. The depths of what people were subjected to through the holocaust was truly terrifying, heart breaking, and beyond my ability to describe. I read it back in high school and should read it again.

    Oh, and hi, I just started following, but I've been reading for a while. :)
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Messengers of God by him as well? It is a good book. Being Jewish, I have heard stories from survivors as well as my best friend's father who escaped Russia as a child (although he very rarely speaks of it I can see the pain in his eyes when the subject is brought up - having to leave everything and everyone behind). The Holoaust Museum sight is a great one to learn more for those interested. They have a great education program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 100% agree, if our students don't know about the past "they are bound to repeat it".
    I teach Anne Frank when I have an eighth grade class and it is harder to stomach the Holocaust each time I discuss it.
    I always remind the students that freedom isn't free.
    We also discuss there is probably a wanna be ruler of the world sitting in some high school right now and how it is their duty to stay informed and vote to make sure that wanna be never comes into power. That thought really gives the kids something to think about.
    I was abble to tour the US Holocaust museum in Washington DC and will never forget it..the quietest place on the DC Mall.
    DOnna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to Auschwitz; what I saw there is etched in my memory. I know I shall never forget. In Poland, there are so many reminders of that horrible time, but there are also beacons of hope and growth. I have read Night many times, and it is just one of many stories from the Holocoust that must be preserved. I taught Anne Frank many years ago when I was teaching middle school. We had a survivor come and speak to the kids. I know the impact it had on me. Soon, most of those who survived that time will be gone, and it will be up to our generation to honor them and their memory.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think... comment here: