Wednesday, January 28

Wednesday, January 27, 2009


Woke up this morning and all the street lamps down our end were out. If it wasn't for the nice halogen light we installed on our porch, it would have been almost impossible to see my pups on their morning outing. It's blowing wet snow from the east, the boardwalks were a little tricky to walk on with out slipping.

Quiet in the office this morning, got a couple phone calls and can hear the usual couple people walking in and out of the store. Some people come just to say good morning and enjoy a cup of coffee then on with their days. While others, like some of the elders, will actually hang out and visit for most the day just so they can get out and see people! My mom got a deposit ready, but no need to mail it since there obviously isn't going to be any planes today!

I am thinking about making grilled cheese and soup for lunch. My mom brought home a good amount of moose meat from my older sister, she's trying like hell to convince me to eat it. No thank you... only animals that stand on 4 legs that I eat is cows and pigs! I will eat seal and sea lion though (I don't know if I'd touch it if I didn't grow up on it). There are 2 ways I like to prepare it: cut into steaks and fried or made into a soup!

Nothing much going on this afternoon. My mom got some tax paperwork done for the corp. Made me think about getting my hubbies taxes done up. I haven't recieved everything in the mail to do mine yet. Not many people shopping downstairs today, must be the weather that's keeping everyone inside. Damn it wasn't a fun ride on the 4-wheeler on my way home at lunch, at least I have snow goggles! Eva (our store manager) brought me up a list of what we need to get ordered for the next shipment out of Seattle. We should have a freighter leaving Seattle on Friday, it takes a week to get here from there. Other than that, really quiet boring day today. I'm planning meat loaf, mashed potatoes w/gravy and green beans for dinner with maybe a glass of white zin tomorrow (was going to tonight but I don't want to micro-bake the hamburger since it's frozen, but it should be ready tomorrow!). Going to the cafe tonight for Chinese. Egg flower soup, mongolian beef and bbq pork fried rice is what we decided on!!

Weather stayed crappy all day. Seemed like it was blowing from the East this morning, becoming more of a Northerly by noon. I would guess the wind was blowing a good contant 20mph, gusting to 35+mph. The temp dropped from 34F this morning to 30F at 4PM, I don't think it's going to get above freezing anytime until maybe tomorrow...

Pic is of me walking in front of the library with town in the background. :)
PS. my PO Box is 106 ;)

Here is the forecast for the next couple days from the National Weather Service, AK region. http://www.arh.noaa.gov
EASTERN ALEUTIANS-
INCLUDING...UNALASKA...NIKOLSKI
500 AM AKST WED JAN 28 2009

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 3 AM AKST THURSDAY...

TODAY...SNOW AND RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON. BLOWING SNOW REDUCING VISIBILITY TO ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S...FALLING IN THE AFTERNOON. NORTH WIND 25 TO 40 MPH.

TONIGHT...NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS. BLOWING SNOW REDUCING VISIBILITY TO ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES IN THE EVENING. SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WIND 15 TO 30 MPH.

THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW. TEMPERATURES REMAINING STEADY IN THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WIND 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH.

THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. NORTHWEST WIND 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH.

FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S. NORTHEAST WIND 10 TO 20 MPH.

FRIDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS 20 TO 25.

4 comments:

  1. It's snowing and blowing snow here too, it makes me want to bundle up with a good book and a hot cup of tea (but wine sounds better now that you mention it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Dali of the Day . . . Alena is right, it's the same weather over here! Great looking blog! Cheers, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying reading about your life in Akutan. I have been out to Atka and Nikolski for my job but not to your island. Glad you are blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately most of the snow was S. of us this round when the ice hit lower Ill ark Ky and the East but the cold from you all and the Pole is still here Wed. Love your blog. CJ

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think... comment here: